Tuesday, September 15, 2009

"Take Me Out To The Ball Game" cause Citifield now has Gluten Free Beer

A few months back I was thrilled to go to my first game at Citifield- the new home of the Met's. I had been to Shea many times, but this was a new field- does it get any better? Unfortunately the last game I remembered going to I was able to enjoy a game the American way- with hot dogs and beers... in fact, that might have been part of the reason I went to the game at all. But now I was faced with going to the game and not having the full experience- at least in my mind.... and I was finally a designated driver- my friend  Chris could not have been happier.

Citifield was great, don't get me wrong- I still want to call it Shea- but it is beautiful. Every seat I have been in, and I have been in a few this season, has a great view of the field. I was able to find something other than a hot dog as Blue Smoke had non-cross contaminated pulled pork (and a pickle to boot!)  Although Chris knew it was not the same for me. Behind my back he wrote an email to Anheuser Bush and told them about my "unamerican experience" and asked them if they could put Redbridge (their product, they are the beer sponsors) in a section. Not only did they email him back- they called him, and followed up. They told him that Citifield would surely put it in a section because they are there for the customer -unlike another NY team... I giggled when I heard that part! So now- low and behold- there is something even better about Citifield- they now have REDBRIDGE- gluten free beer.

I have been back twice, and both times had to ask about the sales. The first time the women at the beer garden told us that people were definitely drinking it, but more out of curiosity. Recently when I went back for my birthday with my dad and friends- where the picture above was taken (4th Row Seats I might add- Great Job Chris! and thank you Goldie!!!). It was amazing to go with my friends and my dad, since he was a bat boy growing up and has baseball in his family blood... but better yet was that I could drink a beer with him while watching baseball. So we went looking for Redbridge- to cheers to my birthday and to cheers to beers again, and baseball too! The first club we went to was sold out, the second told us that she has regulars who come to every game and only drink that, and the women at the beer garden said- I remember you two!!!! Who knew it would be such a hit!

So thank you Citifield, thank you Chris Hickey, thank you women at the beer garden.... and to all those who have Celiac or a Gluten problem- Go catch a game, meet the Met's and drink a beer.... cause I am not sure we can do much about the hot dogs!

No comments:

Post a Comment