Thursday, December 3, 2009

LEFTOVERS... what to do???



I swear every time I open my fridge I have way to much food, but I am sick to my stomach with the amount of leftovers staring back at me, or the little things- how often can I use cream cheese? Today I went to grab for the leftovers and I thought to myself- what am I going to do with all this stuff in here? Why is my fridge always cluttered but I have nothing I want? On the menu I had lined up chicken from Costco ($4.99, you just can't beat it for the price) and broccoli with some cheese on top. All of the sudden the light went off above my head... I will go back to the days of my mom's cooking, or let's be realistic someone's mom's cooking and throw together a casserole. Is there an easier way to eat through a fridge of leftovers or miscellaneous items?  I think not...
I started by cutting up the chicken, and steaming up the broccoli and getting out the leftover rice. Next, I turned to the stove to start my first concoction which would ultimately be my favorite casserole I ever made- and my first!

Here goes:
throw together the following (add, substitute- it's really up to you!)
1/2 a package of creamcheese- I prefer the full fat kind, but you can use light... fat free does not really work for cooking
1 8oz container of sour cream
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese- prefer the block and grating it then
1/2 cup English Cheddar Cheese- again, prefer the block and grating it then
a good heaping of Penzy's crushed jalapeños
a good heaping of Penzy's Cheese sprinkle
aka... if you haven't been, put Penzy's spices on your Christmas list!

After heated thoroughly, toss the sauce over the cooked rice, broccoli and chicken. Stir until well mixed. Bake covered in the oven at 350* until bubbly and brown, about a half hour. Uncover, sprinkle a bit more cheese sprinkle, a few more jalapeños and top with shredded cheddar cheese, return to the oven uncovered until it is melted through.

Most of all enjoy. Next time you're looking at a whole lot of nothing in your fridge... I bet with a bit of creativity you can create a whole lot of something in no time! Channel your inner Grandmother :)

No comments:

Post a Comment